At Blackwell, all rental transactions are professionally handled by our staff, and no third parties are involved during the process.
Unfortunately, in this hot real estate market, rental scams are on the rise. Here are a few ways you can fall victim to a scam, and the tools Blackwell uses to ensure our clients have a safe transaction:
- The rent price on a website is higher than the price quoted to you. Yes, our rentals are promoted on other sites affiliated with the MLS; however the rent price should NOT be different. Call our office (304.885.0772) if you are unsure of a price on a site other than Blackwell’s.
- You were not asked to submit an application, and supplemental paperwork, on a secure site. All applications for a Blackwell property are processed on a secure site, and confirmation is sent when it is received.
- Not receiving an approved application email. Whether an application is approved, or denied, Blackwell sends an email with the explanation.
- First month’s rent and security deposit money needs to be wired to an account. Blackwell asks that first month’s rent, and security deposit, are given in certified funds. We do not ask for money to be wired, or deposited, into an account.
- No formal move-in instructions are given. Complete instructions regarding utilities, parking, and how to access keys, are given to our tenants once the lease is signed.
As they say, if it sounds too good to be true…it probably is. If you do fall victim to a rental scam, please report it to your local law enforcement agency.